Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Subjects Matter Chapter 2 Response


I found this second chapter of Subjects Matter to be oh-so-relatable. The “clunking” process that the authors describe perfectly sums up my experience with non-fiction texts and all school-assigned texts back in high school. I took a lot of AP courses where there was a lot of reading involved,
probably the most challenging for me was AP U.S History. In that course, my teacher would have us read some twenty or thirty pages out of the mammoth textbook nearly every night and expect us to take a quiz over it all the next day.

I don’t mean to offend any of my classmates with emphases in history here…but history, especially U.S history, is seriously the most boring thing on this whole planet to me. It’s all just a bunch of dates, wars, and boring government stuff to me. Also, I had very little time to complete all of the readings my teacher assigned. Therefore, my reading process usually went as follows: read a sentence, doing good; read a paragraph, yeah I got this; read a whole page…uh…what did I just read again? No joke, I could read a whole page of text and then look up and tell myself, “I have no clue what I just read. I need to read that again”.


I suppose that shows that I know how to “self-monitor” as an effective reader (p. 30). However, no twenty or thirty pages of very scholarly textbook language about history was ever going to get me interesting and motivated, and it certainly wasn’t helping me to succeed in that class. After reading this chapter and recalling my own experiences, it really makes me empathize with my future students in my math or science class struggling to read my textbook pages. I really want to make sure to teach several different reading strategies and prepare them to receive the text’s content

313

Emily 

3 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I totally agree with your statement about reading a whole page and thinking to yourself "what did I just read"? When I was younger I had the problem of reading and not comprehending what I read; therefore, I would do poorly on the reading quizzes. As I have gotten older I realized I actually do like to ready, but just things I connect with. I think it is very important we introduce various reading strategies at a younger age so students will connect with the material and be engaged.
    (90)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I am the same way when it comes to history texts. I always get distracted or find myself at the end of the chapter with maybe a couple of pieces of information that I remember. If I had been presented with a text that I knew how to navigate or it was simply more engaging to read, I would have enjoyed history classes more.
    [65]

    ReplyDelete
  3. That gif is really something, Emily. Is that how you felt when reading your AP American History textbook? It's so interesting to see how you all are connecting the reading to past experiences. I hope you all don't forget them!

    ReplyDelete